Classes and Workshops
Current Class Schedule, class descriptions and Sign up Forms
CLASSES AND WORKSHOPS
- Please pre-register for classes. Payment is due at time of registration. Pay over the phone by credit card during business hours at (414)747-9229, stop in the store, or buy now with Paypal.
- you may call the store to drop in the day of class, space permitting
Current Class Schedule
metal etching basics : weds april 15th : WEDS MAY 13TH
metal stamping : thurs april 23rd : THURS MAY 21ST
METAL STAMPING: instructed by jessica
$20 :: 2 hours
In this class you will create one metal stamped piece of jewelry. Using various steel letter, numbers, and symbols you will hand pound a chosen design into a piece of base metal. each piece will be finished off with a patina and polished to completion. supplies to turn the metal into a wearable piece of jewelry are included in the class fee.
all supplies provided
metal etching basics :: iNSTRUCTED BY JESSICA
$30 :: 2 HOURS
in this class you will create one metal etched piece of jewelry. Etching is a process in which an acid is used to cut around protected parts of metal leaving behind a raised image. Using rubber stamps to imprint an image onto a base metal you will learn to prepare the metal, etch in an acid bath, patina, and polish to completion. Supplies to create the piece of jewelry are included in price.
All supplies provided
METALSMITHING FOUNDATIONS : THE JEWELER'S SAW :: Instucted by Angelica
$120 :: 4 hours **You must register in advance so the tool kits can be ordered in time!**
Learn to use a jeweler's saw to cut intricate shapes from metal. A jeweler's saw is a small hand saw with very fine blades for cutting or piercing shapes in metal. This fundamental tool is essential in most metalsmithing techniques and learning to use it is the foundation to build your skills as a metalsmith. You will learn to thread your saw properly, care for the blades, cut metal into shapes, and the proper techniques for cutting to minimize saw breakage and saw a design quickly and precisely. You will be learning on copper and/or brass, though these skills are used on precious metals as well.
You will learn to saw using a design of your choice and most students will be able to take home a finished or nearly finished pendant or other small piece for use in your jewelry. The tools in the provided kit will be yours to take home to use on other projects and in future metalsmithing classes. You may also purchase the items needed for your kit on your own, though you must have all the tools required to participate in the class. You must also sign a liability waiver to participate.
Tools provided in the kit:
- 3" or larger jeweler's saw frame
- saw blades (you must have at least 12 quantity of 5/0 blades if providing your own)
- needle files (flat, half round, round, tapered, and triangular shapes are all necessary)
- bench pin with clamp
- copper and brass sheet - 22 or 24 gauge
- 1000 grit and 600 grit sandpaper
Tools you must bring to class
- safety glasses
- dust mask
- small designs ( under 2", silhouettes work well) that you'd like to use keeping in mind that they must be able to be cut from metal. Some designs will be provided.
- a sturdy backpack or bag to bring home your tools
Other shared tools and materials will be provided.
The fee for the tool kit is $65.00
The fee for the class is $55.00